Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 02:19:17 -0700
Charleene Schuster wrote:
>"Please come and look at them, they seem so young the manager said, the
>papers say they are 3-4 weeks old.  I do not think they are in good shape."

I get so tired of this Marshall Farms bashing.  Number one, Marshall Farms
does not ship ferrets that are 3-4 weeks old.  Are the kits' eyes open?
If so, the kits are 5 weeks old minimum.  Number two: I guarantee Marshall
Farms does NOT send papers stating the kits are 3-4 weeks old.  That is
pure horse-hockey.

You wish to blame someone, blame PetCo for poor husbandry, but do not blame
MF for shipping sick or too young animals.  It just doesn't happen.  Oh
yes, occasionally MF will inadvertently ship a wee one out, but in over
200 shipments to a friend's pet store here in Reno, I have only seen this
happen once, and I have been owned by this baby for 4 years now.  (Snorkle)
For what it's worth department..This pet store sells hundreds of ferrets a
month to Californians and they offer MF, CDC, Path Valley, and Triple F
ferrets.  Believe it or not, all the kits are pretty much the same size and
age...probably 6 to 7 weeks when they arrive.

>WHY CAN'T THEY WAIT TILL THEY ARE 12 WEEKS OLD!

Economics.  If they waited until the kits were 12 weeks old, the cost of
each ferret kit would prove to be too costly.  Also, the 'cuteness' is on
its way out and whether we like it or not, 'cuteness' is what sells the
young of any mammal to first time buyers.

>They are sent to the pet stores by UPS air.  They are put into a small
>wooden slat cage surrouned with chicken wire and stapled in.  they
>are given a small plastic pouch of some jelly that they are suppose
>to chew through to get nourishment.

First.  UPS does not accept live shipment of animals.  Please, if you are
going to report something, make sure you have your facts right.  Most
ferret farms ship Delta Dash or similar 'counter to counter' guaranteed
shipments.  They will only ship animals if the temperatures fall within
certain parameters..usually 45 to 80 degrees.  When shipped in this manner,
the animals are only in the crate described above for 2 to 6 hours...not
enough time to be harmful to the fuzzies.  I also have not seen this
'plastic pouch of some jelly' you speak of.  It doesn't really ring true
to me, but..as I said, I haven't seen it so can't comment.

>Petsmart does not sell pets and they do very well.

PetSmart DOES sell ferrets.  It is up to the individual store as to whether
they wish to carry them.

>Please blitz them repeatedly with letters asking them to STOP SELLING
>FERRETS.

If you do, please be polite.  You are a representative of the ferret
community.  A bitchy, rambling, finger pointing letter, only makes us
out to be kooks.

Also, try and remember this bit of ferret economics.  As much as many of us
here would like to see the pet store/pet supermarket end their small animal
sales, it is the only way 90% of the population learns about ferrets.  If
it weren't for the pet stores and their massive entry into the ferret
trade, we would not have all the commercial products being developed and
sold for ferrets.  If there were no pet store sales of ferrets, there
would be no rescues..only small breeders who may or may not practice good
husbandry.  And, going a step further, no major recognition of ferrets
would have meant they would still be illegal in many of the states and
municipalities that have recently legalized them.  Adequate vet care would
be nonexistent due to the lack of business, therefore the lack of need to
learn/know about the ferret.

So...we really DO need the pet stores.  Perhaps instead of bad mouthing
them, why not offer to help educate them, as some here have done with
excellent results.  Devote your time and energy into helping by educating,
instead of attacking.  We all will benefit!

For our ferrets!

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob, and
Garret)