Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:35:20 -0500
Hi all!
Here I am at work again, reading my FML's, forwarded from home where I
don't always have the time to read them.  I thought I'd make a couple of
comments.  As for the hairless guinea pigs, personally I'm disgusted, but
then, I love fur, preferably plush and soft.  I've seen the hairless rats
and mice, originally bred for scientific experiment, and I've seen naked
mole rats(Ick!).  I'll pass on any of them as pets.  The hairless cats are
actually not rex cats, but are called Sphinx cats.  They may be sweet cats,
but they're not for me.  This isn't saying that any of these critters won't
make a good pet for anyone else; I'm just stating my preference for fur.
Then again, the fact that I own 2 Maine Coon cats(long hair!) might be a
giveaway.  *grin*

On to another topic.  A while ago people were talking about alternative
litter solutions.  Some folks mentioned rabbit pellets.  Sounds wonderful
to me, but I have yet to find any rabbit food that did not include seeds in
the mix.  Instead, at a ferret-genius shelter-mom's suggestion, I've begun
using stove pellets, wood shaving's pressed into pellets like Yesterday's
News compresses newspaper.  I'm impressed!  My ferrets made the switch
with no problems.  They aren't at all interested in tasting them and even a
day late in box changing, there's no smell at all, not even the chips
themselves.  Talk about odor control!  And no dust, either.  At $3.50 for
40#, this beats clay litter hands down.  I'll be trying the cats on the
pellets with the next litter change (tonight!).  I understand it can be
difficult to find stove pellets during the warmer seasons, but there is at
least one source near me that carries them all year 'round.  Folks might
want to give them a try.  I found my first bag at Lowe's Hardware.  There
are also fireplace and alternative heating stores that carry them.  They're
the ones likely to carry them all year, too.  A side bonus to stove pellets
is that the used pellets, now turned in to sawdust, can be thrown onto the
compost heap, or used in the vegetable garden as mulch and to discourage
rabbits and rodents.  I'll also be using it around my 50+ roses to
discourage nibbling at the new growth.  I may never have to buy mulch
again.

Lastly, I wanted to question people on the advisability of travelling with
your ferrets loose in the car.  I've never allowed an animal free roam in
my car while the car is in motion.  I feel it's just too dangerous.  Not
that I'm a bad driver, but there is always the possibility of an accident,
and considering how badly hurt a person can get without a seatbelt, think
of your little carpet shark slamming into the dashboard.  Sorry to be
graphic.  One friend was in an accident and a champion Samoyed ended up
running loose on the highway because her owner was knocked unconscious for
a few minutes.  Author Steven King was struck by a van who's driver had
become distracted by his dog that was loose in the vehicle.  Before I took
in my first rescue cat, she nearly caused an accident when she decided to
investigate behind the gas and brake pedals.  In Wisconsin, another friend
had to take apart her dashboard when baby raccoons climbed into it (rescued
from beside their roadkill momma, the poor things).  I know you love your
ferrets, and you enjoy sharing the trip with them, but please consider
using a carrier while in the car.  For your sake as well as theirs.

Take care everyone, and the best of health and happiness to you and your
ferrets.

Anastasia Kidd and the house full of furries
home email address: [log in to unmask]