Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:34:44 -0400
It's been a while, but the pitter-patter of youthful ferret feet has
returned to the McMillian household.  Barkley McMillian, a pet store
rescue, is our newest addition.  Hes a Marshall Ferret, only about 5
weeks old and a really handsome chocolate.

I know, with all the posts I've made regarding the sale of these little
ones at such a young age, you'd think I'd be the absolute last person on
Earth to buy one from a pet shop.  You'd also have pegged me to be tha last
to sell one from a pet shop, but alas, again, I've done that, too.

PetCare Superstores, where I work, recently started selling small animals,
birds and reptiles, finally cashing in on what they claim was what 96% of
their customers had asked for.  Being the most knowledgeable of their staff
on anials, they pegged me as the caretaker for our colonies.  Ferrets, which
come indirectly from Marshall Farms, sell for $119.00, a 50% mark-up from
what PetCare pays for them.  Happily, the store only made $10.00 off of me,
because I used my employee discount to "Buy" him.  I'd estimate that
Marshall made about $30 and the wholesaler made $50.

Barkley came into our store on tuesday.  He was a very vocal guy.What can
you expect,being taken from his mom so soon.  he would chase me from on end
of his enclosure to the other, lunging out of the door to be cuddled and
quieted (spoiled).  After alking it over with my S.O., I decided to put a
48-hour hold on him so I could take him home on PayDay.  I named him Barkley
because he's so vocal and the little grunts sound like barking at times.
He's beeen instantly accepted into the younger colony.  He'll be entered in
this years GCFA show.  I have renewed my stand on buying ferrets, though.
My next ferret will be from a breeder, as will it's mate.