From:
Joanne D'Amico-Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:15:57 -0400
Sorry, I am behind on everything - very sick fuzzy ...

I have had a few biters, one really bad one (adrenal male, testosterone
overload) and one the owner was trying to return to a pet shop. In the
former case, once the problem was identified and the (very large)
adrenals were removed, as the hormone level dropped he became the
greatest, most loving ferret ever. (He was only 11 mos. old and NOT a
MF ferret by the way). I tried "everything" with the second one (also
about a year old), and nothing seemed to help. Finally, one day when
he struck, I started yelping LOUD, like a scared or wounded puppy. He
looked horrified, and stopped immediately. After the 4th or 5th time,
he had almost stopped, but occasionally would forget, and I would
repeat .... after about a year, he stopped completely. I have only had
to try this one other time, with a hard nipper, and it was successful -
so no guarantees. By the way, the hard biter is the one with the health
crisis. He is now six years old, and has been a great little guy. His
days are numbered, but he has had a great life, and given me more than
I have given him ... I wish you and your fuzzy well ....