From:
Ferris James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 1996 19:07:21 -0600
We are first time ferret owners and our boy is 19 weeks old.  I really need
some advice about how much a ferret should eat in a day to stay healthy.  We
have Deborah Jeans book and she says ferrets need to eat often because food
passes through them in 3 to 4 hours. "Simon" just doesn't seem to have much
of an appetite. I'm always following him around the house with his food dish
trying to get him to eat something. I've been keeping track: Simon eats
about 1/3 of a cup a day.  Doesn't seem enough. Another thing. We're still
adding water to his food because he won't touch it dry, even though we keep
it available.  Because of this he won't use his water dish or bottle-at all!
So then, I have to make sure he gets enough water in his food dish....I'm
really worried....harried.  Right now it's been 6 hours since he's eaten,
but he won't touch a thing!!!  Has anyone gone through this?  How can I get
him to eat dry food, to eat, peroid, to drink??? Simon seems healthy, and is
active. How much food a day is enough? Any advice would be so appreciated at
this point.
Thanks, Laura