Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 16:54:27 -0600
Hi .
I have been on this list and lurking since July 96.  I have had Riki since
early 1992 when I bought him from a pet store when he was 8 weeks old.  I
had NO info.  on Ferrets besides the books I bought.  He lives in a remodled
40 gal tank that we made into a tri level condo.  He is great with my girl
and dogs.  We have been worried about him.  Instead of gainning weight for
this winter he has even lost weight.  We do not let him out as much as I
know we should, and I feel very bad.  I see that most of you let yours run
free 24/7.  Riki has always been a picky eater.  We have bought him every
kind of Ferret food we can find.  He will never eat it.  We finally found
that he would eat 9-Lives cat food.  I know it is not what he needs
,but....it is what he will eat.  For awhile we tried to gradually mix in
Iams kitty food.  He gave it a try, but ended up just digging it out so he
could get to the 9-lives.  He also only likes Linatone for his treat.  We
have tried other things even store prepared ones.  He hates everything.We
give him a water Vit.  Supp.  As I said we are worried about him.
Unfortuatly we CANNOT take him to a Vet.  Our finances have changed since we
got him.  ( we had to tke him to a Vet.  the week we got him cause he had a
cold.  He was given a shot ,antib.?)

I know that like anything Ferrets have an average life span.  Could this be
Riki's ?  Or is it cause we do not let him run free enough?  Can anyone give
us a "fatten up" diet that you think this picky guy will eat ?

Any ideas would be great. PLEASE..........

I know that a lot of you diehards will curse me for the care I give Riki.
Believe me I already feel sad that I am to learn things the right way a
little too late ( through this list ) The books I bought said to cage him
and now it is habit.

We LOVE Riki very much or I would not be asking for help.
Natalie

To sum it up:
        1. He is neutered and descented
        2. About 5 yrs old
        3. Loosing weight this winter
        4. Very picky, will only eat 9-lives and Linatone
        5. would love a "fatty diet" and more info.
        6. We love him a lot !!!!