From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:28:54 -0400
Had a really interesting phone interview with a person in Maryland the other
day I'd like to share.

She wanted a companion ferret.  I was telling her how I'd like for her to
bring her ferret so it could pick out a friend for itself.  I then asked how
large the cage was (I feel a single ferret should have a minimum space of 2'
x 2', with an extra foot of space for every additional ferret).

she told me her ferret was kept in a 55 gallon glass aquarium.  I told her I
would not adopt a ferret to a home where the ferret was not confined to a
room or to a wire cage when unsupervised.  She asked why an aquarium was bad.

1. no ventilation
2. poor sanitation
3. ferrets are not fish (and I don't even like keeping rodents in an
   aquarium)

Every ferret that came into my shelter that had been housed in a fish tank
for a long period of time has died or had complications due to respiratory
problems.  I dared not ask her if she used wood chips or not.  I told her I
would be delighted to sell her a used wire cage and then adopt her a ferret -
she thanked me for my information and hung up.

Just because the pet shop houses kits in glass cages does not mean it is
correct houseing.  If you are looking for a cage - call Safeguard and get a
nice 2.5 level cage for under $60.  Their number is 1-800-433-1819.  There
are also other cage manufacturers on the STAR* listing.

be good to your pets - Pam