From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:21:28 -0700
>I'm looking for input on the pros and cons of making my rescue a
>501(c).

I can't imagine running a shelter without being a 501(c)3. Yes, you
need to keep good records and keep personal and shelter money strictly
separated, but that's not a bad thing in my mind. You can still support
the shelter if you choose, but there need to be records, and that lets
you know how much money you're spending on it. In turn, those donations
become tax deductions for you.

The biggest reason is that being 501(c)3 unlocks a lot of corporate
money. We get direct contributions from several ferret-related
companies, and that certainly helps keep us afloat.

You still need to do individual fundraising, of course, but if your
volunteers work for a company that matches charitable giving, those
donations get multiplied.

SOS can funnel money, and provide the tax write-off, but I'm not sure
how it would work to get matching funds going that route.

Kevin Farlee
Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter