From:
Dee Vecchione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 09:36:27 -0400
Hi,

Mary Ann wrote:

>I have a question for you please.  I have the Martins large collapsible.
>I bought it a few months ago so my 4 would be more comfortable traveling
>to vet visits.  What have you been using to keep it securely closed?
>That large gapping top panel is a problem.
>
>Oh! and keeping the cage attached to the bottom is no fun either, what
>did you design for that?

I use the stretchy hooks that came with the cage.  For additional
securing of the top, you could use the single end snaps...you know
the kind that are on the end of a dog leash or a horse lead rope.

You're right, the wire frame doesn't secure well enough to the tray to
allow for easy use of the handles.  So, when I move the cage, I just
carry it by the tray.  The design isn't perfect but I don't know how else
they could make it collapsible.  You could always take the stretchy hooks
to Home Depot and try to get more, or just call Martin's.  I'm sure you
can get more from them.

For vet visits, I honestly think you would be much better off with the
carrier setup, I mentioned.  They are much sturdier and much less of a
hassle.  If space is a problem, they also come apart for storage.  You
want the size that allows a Van Ness box to fit across the back of the
carrier perfectly.  Grab one from the cat section and take it back to the
carriers with you.  For years, I took four ferrets to the vet this way
quite easily.  It's also much easier to get in and out of car, especially
the mid-size 2-door coupes that I've owned.  Accessing the back seat is
no picnic.

The other benefit of a carrier, is that it's always ready to go in an
emergency situation...fire, flood, sudden illness.

Plus there is no possible gapping, so once the ferrets are in, they are
in to stay without worrying about a pinched foot or tail when you try to
move it in a hurry.

I think the collapsible cages are much better for short stays at the vet,
post-surgical recovery, brief quarantine, ferret shows, or for travelling
when something a little bigger than a carrier is best.

I hope this helps.

Bye!

Dodie in the Buckeye State (incidentally, I learned from Judy or Kat that
a buckeye is a nut...I wasn't sure!)