From:
"Stephanie Sheme - Ferrets Etc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 00:00:22 -0500
Hi!  I just wanted to put in my two cents on the shelter fees.  i am not
wanting to debat anyone we all have our own thoughts and that is ok, but I
can say we have to charge fees.  We charge $50.00 to adopt a single $75.00
to adopt a pair.  This is almost not enough.  I just finished my numbers on
ferrets in for 1996 we rescue 322 ferrets in 1996 that is around 100 more
than last year.  I heard one person say it must be some sort of record, but
I doubt that with how busy VA and Fla, are, but it is a lot for one person
to rescue.  We vaccinate all our ferrets, they all get any medical care
needed, the best diet, toys, supplments.  Not to mention traveling to pick
up ferrets from local shelters and people.  I know of one shelter for
ferrets here who will not take in sick or old ferrets and in 1996 we picked
up a shelter we never rescued from before because we will take in ANY ferret
no matter what and that shelter seems to get a ton in and turns them over to
us.  I am still trying to callculate bills from 1996 an it might take all
year at this rate :-).  I am just saying we have to charge something or we
could not do this and the ferrets do need us so and aren;t they worth a
adoption fee?  I think so.

I will be in bed again Friday to Weds.  we are having 8 of the extra embryos
from IVF transfer at 3pm Friday so please send good thoughts and energy or
e-mail to entertain me, bed rest is a drag, but the ferrets do help to
entertian me.  Nothing like not being able to get up and trying to fight a
bunch of ferrets who are after your toes.  Take care :-) Stephanie