From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:36:35 -0500
WOW.  It's been a little while since I voiced a controversial opinion
here.  As a result, I'd forgotten how nasty people can be.  Some of the
e-mails Lisette has received are not to be believed.  There are some
ferret-lovers out there who can be really cruel and ugly if someone's
views differ from theirs.  It always amazes me how hateful people can
get, especially when the common thread that runs through the FML is a
deep love of small, furry beings.

I did receive one e-mail (Sam's post) that disagreed with me, but in
a most courteous manner and he also offered me some things I hadn't
thought about, or known about the publishing business.  It was truly a
constructive criticism of my post, and I deeply appreciated his courtesy
as well as the information he shared.  It was a great example of how
civilized, educated people can disagree but remain friendly, calm, and
respectful.

The same people who are saying that I have no compassion or tolerance are,
ironically, completely without tolerance for my views and their replies
and insults are pretty much the opposite of compassion.  Zen's post
offers a mock "apology" for my supposed inability to comprehend the
logistics of a "start-up business" and also remarks that Lisette's
suffering is "inconsequential".  Those statements aren't exactly reeking
of the compassion and tolerance he then goes on to commend himself for.

Modern Ferret is a "start-up" business?  I was under the impression
they've been around for over 7 years (since 1994, according to their
website), won awards, and gained national recognition, which is why I
suggested it might not be difficult for them to find willing help.  They
wouldn't have to relinquish creative control.  Interns usually help with
production and layout; they do not usually take over the business!
Journalism students frequently take unpaid internships with magazines,
and could provide some of the support needed when Mary and Eric can't do
it alone.  I was actually trying to make a constructive suggestion.  I am
not trying to re-design their business or suggest that they hand it over
to someone else.  I suggested that, given the regularity with which
problems pop up for them, they need some help.  Heck, if I lived closer,
I'D be willing to help them for nothing, even if it was just grunt work
that needed to get done!

I didn't suggest that Eric and Mary's problems are not serious.  As I
mentioned, I have a close friend who has suffered from Crohn's for more
than two years.  I know that it can interrupt people's lives for months at
a time.  The suggestion I made (and am still daring to make despite the
flames) is that a magazine this vital, this popular, and this necessary to
the ferret community needs better planning in place.  I am suggesting that
they need to do more than just hurry up and start putting out a magazine
again as soon as possible, and keep fingers crossed that no more obstacles
arise.  I actually understand business fairly well (being an MBA student,
as well as a co-founder of a non-profit organization).  My criticism is
that it seems they have no plan in place for situations such as these.
My suggestion is that they get one.  It's a suggestion, and an opinion.
It didn't deserve the expletive-adjective e-mails I got.

I am not "against" Mary and Eric Shefferman, I do not wish anything bad to
happen to them and I would be very happy to see Modern Ferret bounce back
and become as successful as it was before.  Lots of people need it and
want it.  I wish it well, and I wish the Sheffermans well.  I just can't
say that I think it's OK to take people's money and not deliver something
in return, indefinitely.  If I were close friends with the Sheffermans,
then I too would probably also feel very defensive about their health and
their reputation, and care more about their personal lives than their
creative output.

To those who sent me really nasty flames and e-mails (many were unsigned,
which says a lot about the people behind it), I hope you never share an
opinion that is different from someone else, and that person feels that
they have the right to call you names and make assumptions and judgements
about your character and intelligence.

-Heather W.
 Having opinions and making suggestions, without malice, in Massachusetts