From:
Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 11:47:49 -0500
Hi all--

Food amounts: you know, I haven't the faintest what my guys eat on a daily
basis, because I just put more food in the bowls whenever I notice they're
empty.  I can tell you though that I go through a 1.8kg bag of food in about
a month in the summer, three weeks in the fall-- it all depends on whether
they're fattening themselves up for winter or not.  This free feeding method
seems to work just fine-- Cully's a little pudgy, but I think it's because
he should really be on lower fat food as he's older (no way to keep the food
separate though).  Amelia's fit as a fiddle.

Speaking of fiddles-- I'd reported here once before that when I played my
violin, Cully would lie on the floor looking up at me until I was done.  I
thought maybe he was enjoying it, but the last time I played, he attacked my
feet mercilessly-- I had to put in in another room so I could play.  I guess
before he was just trying to figure out what to do about that strange noise.

And tail hair loss-- thanks for the advice from everybody.  I actually
already have some hibitane, so I'll try that first.  I should have mentioned
before that one of the reasons I feel confident that it's not adrenal is
that Amelia was operated on for a blockage in mid-May.  THe vet took a look
around inside during the operation and said everything was absolutely
normal.  Now I just have to convince Amelia that she really doesn't mind
having her tail scrubbed...

Ferret relationships (so who says my subject heading has to reflect my
entire post)-- I have probably one of the strongest ferret non-friendships
on this list between Amelia and Cully, after almost ten months of living
together.  Yesterday though we went to the park together.  They rode
together in the carrying bags without a peep, and once we were at the park
explored stuff side by side.  After Cully got scared by a dog (the dog
didn't do anything; Cully's just petrified of them), we found a quiet spot
under a tree.  Cully actually sat in my lap for comfort (I'm sorry that he
gets so scared, but it makes for a great bonding experience), and at one
point I had both ferrets curled up on my lap, just the way it's supposed to
be.  What a feeling!  I know now that their introduction to one another was
way too rushed, and they never had a chance to work it out together on
neutral ground before getting all territorial with each other.  I'm going to
try to get them outside as much as possible for the couple weeks of summer
we probably have left up here-- one day it's 90 in the shade, three days
later the air smells like fall...

Regina ("oh, look at the butterfly that landed in front of Amelia's nose,
how cute-- oh, gross")
Amelia (*yum* I like bugs)
Cully (is the big nasty thing gone yet?)