From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:54:24 -0500
Ulysses is an older ferret that has mega-esophagus.  He's barely able to
take 5cc's of liquid nutrient recipe at a feeding and feedings have to be
spaced at least 4 hours apart for him to be able to eat that much.  I am
gently and slowly syringe feeding him.  Our vet operated on Ulysses 3 weeks
ago and removed a tumor from the esophagus (as well as his right adrenal,
ligated vena cava, portion of the liver, and pancreatic tumor) and cut the
constricting muscle in hopes this would allow him to be able to eat more
easily.  I do keep Ulysses' head elevated when feeding and he is on
antibiotics for possible aspiration pneumonia.

Ulysses' will is strong and I will do whatever I can do for him.  Is there
anything else I can do for him?  Any suggestions?

NATURAL DISASTERS
Boy is this a tough one.  Here in Kansas tornados are a worry.  We've had
one come within 5 miles from us (Nancy was in front of it while driving and
watched it out her rear view mirror) but fortunately it turned away.  I
know if it happens I'd never be able to move everyone in time so I've
decided that if it happens we'll all go together.  That's my decision and I
truly understand the implications but I couldn't live with myself knowing
that even one of the little ones was left upstairs.  I can't imagine that
if the house went that the basement would be safe either but since it is
open to the ferrets some sleep down there anyway.

Flood, as in a pipe bursting, isn't a concern as these little ones aren't
caged but it is a good reason to raise cages off the floor for ferrets that
are caged.

Fire is frightening and a constant worry.  Keeping appliances clean and in
top shape is a good precaution as is having your wiring checked by
professionals.  Costly but well worth it to feel safe.  In free roam homes
with larger groups if it happens when someone is home open the front/back
doors/windows and make as much noise as possible to wake them up (ring the
bell/blow whistle/telephone ring/bang pots/etc.) and most ferrets would
probably head for the doors (unless deaf or frightened of noises - I can
shake my house keys and half the critters are up in a second) while others
can be gathered.  Make sure you know where they all sleep.  Saving all in a
large group would be a task, but not impossible, granting the powers that
be are willing to lend a hand.

(Blush) Thank you Bob.  My Mom calls me stubborn.  Your words are much
nicer. :-)  Honestly though, I try to put my all into whatever I do and I'm
quite determined (but not competitive).  That's one reason I've slowed down
taking on tasks.  Currently my cup runneth over and I'm kept quite busy
cleaning up the spill over. ;-)

Ferrets are first and foremost in my life.  That's the way it is.  Friends
take it, others leave it.  In the past (way in the past) I'd put my
critters in 2nd place behind humans but haven't for a long long time.  I
learned my lessons and I'm very happy with the critters being #1 in my
life.  For me this works, for others it may not.  Oh yes, it is quite a
financial and emotional and physical strain but I'm thankful for what I can
do to help the little ones and their caretakers.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity