From:
Robert Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:54:05 -0500
>From:    TwoSpooky <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need HELP!! with local humane society
>I'm absolutely livid over this -- I just learned that my local humane
>society animal shelter (Lincoln, NE) does NOT adopt out ferrets.  They just
>euthanize them if their owners don't reclaim them....

We have found the same to be true here in Michigan.  The three local humane
societies in our area all stated "We have only one cage in which to hold the
ferrets that we recieve and they are only held until such time as they can
be put down".

I informed them that I would be more than happy to pick up the fuzzies any
time of the day or night and was told "We can't release them as they are
generally WILD and no-one wants them"

The above statements came from the Assistant Director (obviously un-educated
as to ferrets) but it's still a stone wall I've run into.

In defense of this person, he stated that "Since we really don't have any
adequate facilities or knowledge or funding to properly care for these
animals it is in the best interest of the animal to put it down".

My question is: How do we get permission\access to adopt these animals
ourselves so they aren't just euthanized?  We offered to quarantine them for
whatever time they specified etc. but still to no avail.

Bob - sorely upset human
Kathy - heartbroke human
Yogi, Cindy & Rascal (insecure in the outdoors fuzzies)