From:
Susan Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:59:36 +0600
This is definately not meant as a flame but I just wanted to say something
in defense of petstores and the people who work there.

I used to (and might go back this summer) work at a petstore.  I find it
upsetting to hear about concerned fuzzy owners finding a ferret in a
petstore without water and then go and get upset.  You said the ferret was
bright-eyed and full of play...  doesn't that mean it's healthy?  Just
because it didn't have water at the time when you looked, doesn't mean it
was dehydrated.  I'm sure lots of peoples fuzzies knock over their water
bowls all the time and we don't notice right away.  It's expecially harder
to notice when you're helping customers, worrying with other animals and
trying to appease your boss.  I should know.

Just tell the employees, "excuse me, I noticed that the ferrets had knocked
over their water.  Just wanted to tell you so you could refill it for them"
And it will get done.

Fuzzies like these do not need "saving." We shouldn't make a spontaneous
decision to buy the ferret because we think it is being mistreated.  This
could turn out to be a big mistake for you AND especially the animal.

Now as for those fuzzies in petstores that are obviously ill, that's a
different story...

        Just MHO.

      ---Susan & Tag