From:
Deborah Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:26:50 -0500
I was looking at the Delta Society's Pet Partners program, which
"trains volunteers and screens volunteers and their pets for visiting
animal programs in hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers,
schools and other facilities."

The Delta Society's website states that Delta excludes "wild or exotic
animals such as snakes, ferrets, lizards, etc., and wolf-hybrids" from
qualifying under their Pet Partners program." Here's the specific text
relating to this matter:

  **************************

Can wild, exotic and wolf-hybrids be Pet Partners?

There are several reasons why Delta Society does not register wild or
exotic animals such as snakes, ferrets, lizards etc and wolf-hybrids.
They are not legally acceptable as pets in many states. Without
research documenting their behavior over time, we cannot evaluate their
predictability and reaction to stress. Without adequate research
documenting the transmission of diseases between people and these
animals, we cannot evaluate the health risks of contact. However, Delta
Society is constantly expanding the range of species included in the
Pet Partners program - when such research results are available.

  *************************

Has anyone in the ferret community attempted to re-educate these
people?

Deb Benson/Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Services

Deb Daugherty Benson
Outreach and Development
Youth Technology Academy, Cuyahoga Community College
2900 Community College Avenue,  Suite 203
Cleveland, OH 44115
(216) 987-4424 (phone)
(216) 987-6303 (fax)

"When you look for good in others, you discover the best in yourself."
-- Martin Walsh