From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 1994 18:00:07 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.0, 12/15/93)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 70kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

(Apologies for the double-distribution in the previous issue.  I sent them
successive days, but...  I'll wait until I see a part before sending the next
from now on.)

*** PART 4 of LOTS ***

1.3> What's this I hear about ferrets attacking babies?

[begin PG]
Like most people, I've only heard rumors about this.  I wouldn't be
surprised if, some time in the past, a ferret pounced on a young child
and either injured it or at least panicked the parents.  However,
plenty of children have been bitten or attacked by dogs and even cats,
yet people don't claim that all dogs and cats are too dangerous for
pets.

I'm sure the number of people injured by ferrets each year is a tiny
fraction of the number wounded or even killed by dogs.  Ferrets are
unfamiliar to most people, though, so it's easier for them to make
sweeping statements on the basis of a tiny amount of rumored
information.

It is definitely necessary to monitor interactions between young
children and ANY pets closely, and to make sure children know the
proper way to handle pets.  Ferrets love to pounce and wrestle when
they play, which may frighten children, and children tend to play
rather roughly, which may prompt a more vigorous response from an
active ferret than from a typical cat, but I know of no evidence that
an unprovoked ferret would tend to be more aggressive toward a child
than toward an adult.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

2. *** Getting a pet ferret ***

2.1> Which color is the best?  Male or a female?  What age?

[begin PG]
As with people, a ferret's inherent personality is more important than
color or gender.  Nevertheless, there is some thought that cinnamon
ferrets tend to be more docile than other colors, probably because
it's a recent addition to the list of colors, so most of them have
been bred from long-time pet stock.  Basically, though, choose the
color according to your own preference.

There's no consistent personality difference between a (neutered) male
and a female.  Males are generally considerably heavier, around 3-5
pounds (in the US; European ferrets seem to be a bit smaller) compared
to 1-3 pounds for females.  Males' heads are usually wider, which can
give them a more cat-like appearance.  Both genders end up around
15-18 inches long, plus about 6 inches for the tail.  If you're
getting an unneutered ferret, bear in mind that the cost to spay a
female can be higher than the cost to neuter a male.  (Unless you're
specifically planning to breed them, you will NEED to "alter" your
pets -- see question 4.3.)

There are two contradictory opinions regarding what age ferret is best
for a new owner.  Adults tend to be a bit calmer and may already be
litter- and nip- trained (see questions 4.4 and 4.5), but they are
larger and may have acquired bad habits, too.  Kits are very cute, and
their small size and (for a young kit) sleepiness can be less
intimidating for a new owner, but they require a little more care and
training and will become very active before too long.  Question 2.4
discusses what to look for in a new kit.

[begin MW]
[Color] doesn't matter, although silver-mitts tend to be a little more
obnoxious (translate: need more attention) than their dark footed
friends.