From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 12:23:59 -0400
>From:    Inez Gowsell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Introduction and question
>She is a sable, i think.  She has a very light back and dark feet.  My
>other ferret - that died several years ago - had a dark mask.  Belphebe
>doesn't.  Is she a sable or something else?

Sable is a color.  Ferrets have both pattern and color.  The pattern you
describe is color-point or Siamese.  So she is a Sable Point or Sable
Siamese.

Sable is very dark brown often approaching black.  Chocolate is the color of
milk chocolate (no surprise).  Champagne is lighter brown to beige (also
called cinnamon).

Standard pattern is dark legs with medium body.
Solid pattern is dark legs and body.

I'm not a vet but the approach the vet is recommending sounds reasonable to
me.  Don't wait too long on the shot.  Adrenal tumors are cause of swollen
vulvas but I've not heard about many in ferrets that young.  Botched spays
do happen usually from smaller ranches or bad vets.  I'd have to defer to
your vets advice.

>From:    Judith Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adoptable Ferrets: Gettysburg
>Fran's Ferret Rescue, located on Greenmount Road, Gettysburg, PA, currently
>has about ten ferrets available for adoption.

I'd like to highly recommend Fran Wiles.  She is about the most dedicated
ferret shelter director I know.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm