From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:24:04 +0800
Hi Emily,

I have 28 ferrets in residence at the moment each with their own scent
glands.  Honestly, I can go for weeks and never smell a "poof".  The
time that I'm almost certain they will disgrace themselves, is when I
have visitors.  :-)

Years ago, I had a ferret who would do "overflow poofs", even in her
sleep.  The condition righted itself without any treatment after a couple
of weeks.

A friend had a ferret with the same condition but it wasn't cured until
it had completed a course of antibiotics.  I've heard of this only a few
times in over 10 years.

Here in West Oz, only once have I heard of a ferret who needed to have
his anal glands removed because of chronic impaction and inflammation.

If I was in your position, I would probably suggest to the vet to
prescribe a course of antibiotics and only resort to surgery if all else
failed.

Shirley
From Western Australia where we don't descent.