From:
Michael Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 11:37:05 -0500
I'm sorry, Mr. Fischer, that you are so deeply offended by requests for
donations on the FML.  Unfortunately, unlike organizations such as the U.S.
Humane Society with officers that have salaries in the six figure range,
many shelter operators that I know have gone into deep, personal debt to
perform their services, never complaining and only occasionally asking for
outside assistance.  They don't have the funds to do mass mailings like the
Humane Society and must resort to less expensive means, such as the FML.

These shelter operators (no, I'm not a shelter operator, merely a concerned
member of one) have not taken up their cause lightly.  They did not just
decide one day to operate a shelter because it would be neat, or for the
glory, of which there is none.  They do it because they care deeply and are
willing to go to any length to make a real difference, even if it means
going into debt or having to go out and beg for money.

You may wonder how these shelters get in such a bind that they have to beg
for money.  When one becomes known as a ferret rescuer, it's very easy to
get overwhelmed without even going out looking for ferrets to rescue.  How
does one ignore the woman that called our shelter last week and said, "You
either take my ferret or I'm going to let it go."  To a shelter operator,
that's like saying, "Take this ferret or I will torture it to death" since
we all know that a released ferret will surely die outside in a short time,
and it's not a pretty death.  And no matter what you may think, this is not
an uncommon type of call to the shelter.  It's too bad that a shelter
operator's heart is usually much bigger than his/her pocketbook.

It is these same shelter operators and activists that come to you for help
that will one day keep your ferret from being euthanized to check for rabies
when it bites someone.  The same people that will one day put the California
Fish & Game people in their place and get ferrets legalized in CA.  Why?
Because they're people that believe so strongly in the welfare of ferrets
that they will do whatever it takes no matter what the emotional, physical
or financial toll.  They occasionally ask for your help.  Please don't be so
offended by people that are trying to do all they can to help ferrets.
Simply ignore the request and don't donate if you feel it's not a cause
worthy of your time or money.

* Michael F. Janke - [log in to unmask]
* Member, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Shelter Home Page - http://www.bridge.net/~mjanke