From:
Broomie FD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:39:08 -0200
Hi All,
Since I posted my last emails on newbie buying a ferret with a four year
old I feel for various responses I'd like to clarify some things to the
group.

I have been researching ferrets for sometime now.  The ferret(s) were not
for my son to play with.  I was planning on buying the ferrets for me.
My son has a water frog, dog and a hamster.  Ofcourse I want to know if
all ferrets bite as I think that is a very valid question.  I wasn't
planning on letting my son rough handle them at all, hold a ferret in his
arms gently very briefly yes, and absolutely only if the ferret was not a
biter.  I see nothing wrong with my son holding a ferret responsible in
his arms under my supervision briefly (just as I would let him hold a baby
briefly if I had one) but ofcourse if all ferrets "absolutely bite" when
just being held gently then I was not aware of that and thus my son would
not hold him every before I determine otherwise.

Now ofcourse the issue wuth owning a dog, precautions would be taken there
as well...and hamster... Certainly some people on this list have a dog,
child, etc...

I certainly don't underestimate what 4 year olds are capable of doing to
animals if allowed to by irresposible parents who let them.  I did not
know that all ferrets will always bite as i was recently informed.  From
what I read I thought they could be trained not to bite.  I guess the
information I read was wrong.

Also an issue of how can I realisticly think I can have time to play with
ferrets and give them my time/attention/play with & allow them the freedom
they need outsde a cage with a 4 year old in the house....this is how...
First of all, my husband and I both work at home with very flexible hours,
night owls.  Plus we call our house the "house that never sleeps"..ask my
mom, she once lived in our basement apartment.  So that the ferrets would
certainly have play time, actually whenever they want.  I plan to set up
a ferret room, for now in my computer room and I spend most of my time in
there so I can't see me not playing with them when they wake up.  My son
knows this is mommies room.  I thought many people work in the day outside
the home and when they come home they let their ferrets out to play,
surely that's ok.  We have doors on every room in our house so where we
want to limit the ferrets play and not limit should be fine...we have alot
of space.

This I really need to make clear, I was not planning on getting a ferret
for my son, yes ofcourse for my benefit but it's for the ferrets benefit
too, not just for me to get something out of it.  I plan to give them
everything and more!  I didn't go about this decison lightly, that's why
I contiously ask questions.  We had 2 cats for 13 & 14 years until they
passed on, our pets are always family to us.  I want to know if my son
can hold a ferret gently under my supervision, a simple not unreasonable
question.  like I said he won't handle a ferret if he bites.  I never
ever said I planned to let my son rough handle a ferret.  Also I was not
shocked that the ferret bit me & broke skin in my last post, nothing
surpirses me when you walk into a room with a ferret you don't know!  But
then again the lady did tell me he does not bite!

I can certainly understand reasons ferrets aren't pets for young children
but like I said that is not my intent.  As for having 3 ferrets is better
than 2 I would think so, more the merrier I'd say, Ofcourse I think 1-2
first is a good start, then we will talk about 3 later.  I plan to get a
cage 3x5 feet plus free reign of one room, plus access to areas of the
house supervised...isn't that good enough?  If not then I guess I won't
get a ferret.

Sadly we have no ferret shelters here and I sadden to think where they
end up.  We would be blessed to have each other I'd think.

Broomie