From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:18:31 EST
You know, this discussion about ferrets being "baby savagers" has really
disturbed me.

it was ironic while at an "Epiphany Party" for my work the other day (the
day celebrated where the three wise men visited baby Jesus with
gifts.......) someone found out that I had ferrets.  (No secret, I talk
about them when I can...)

Sister Catherine (no relation, BTW) said "oh, I know about them.  Father
so- and so had one break into his house and bite him on the mouth years
ago.  It was terrible."

Now, mind you, I never found out if the "ferret" was a weasel, a mink, or
an escaped pet.  Father so and so had passed on many years ago, so I could
not talk to him.  I told those present my "good" ferret stories and the
statistics of how many more children and adults were bitten by dogs, cats,
etc.  Even humans for that matter.  LOL!  Many left convinced that much of
what is said about ferrets are "fairy tails" or exaggerations.

But what if we take all "news reports" or "stories" at face value?  Well,
then I would never allow my Parish priest in my home, that's for sure.
"Father, I'm sorry, but you cannot come in.  I have ferrets and ferrets
have been reported to bite Priest's on the mouth!" (I guess incited to rage
by the smell of incense, sacramental wine, or the sight of white collars.
We can't have ferrets hanging from the Sacretdotal lips, you know.....)

Or, "Sister, you cannot come in my home.  I have ferrets, and ferrets have
been known to bite <out of habit>!"  (Most of the nuns I know and work with
are "user friendly" and do not wear habits anymore.....sorry for the bad
pun..but I could not resist...LOL!)

Fact is, humans are the most vicious animal of all.  And I like people,
BTW.  I work, as one of my assignments, with the homeless.  Yesterday, in
Salt Lake City, we had a homeless woman (who I know, BTW) go into a
television newsroom and shoot several people because she did not like the
broadcast the day before.  Do we say, besides the normal warning of
strangers to our children "don't go near them, they might be homeless....?"
Generalizations are damaging, no matter what the species or population.
Someone will always fit them, and they are not reflective of the overall
true picture, my friends.

Do I say Catholic members of the Religious should not go near ferrets
because "Father so and so" was supposedly attacked by a ferret how many
years ago?  No we take each item of it's own merit.

You know, if Bill and Diane have removed that picture of their small son
with a ferret on their website because of garbage on this forum, it would
indeed be a tragedy.  I can't think of a better picture for "goodwill" than
that.

Face it.  Some dogs are mean.  Some cats are mean.  Some HUMANS are mean
(and the human is the only animal I know that hurts for the pure pleasure
of hurting when they are mentally unbalanced.....) Some ferrets may bite.
It's a fact of life, unfortunatly.

But, it was summed up very beautifully in an article in "Modern Ferret."
Although the gentleman was referring to a ferret about to give birth (I
think it was George Parker, but I will admit to being tired from a long
week and too lazy to check my resources....) he said "know your animal."
That is precisely what I say.  If you know an animal is "risky", supervise.
Hell, I love my chihuahau Lupita.  But I would not allow her unsupervised
access to children or adults without my supervision when she was young.
(She has mellowed in old age....) I would not allow many, many humans
access to Angel even now.  I wouldn't hesistate to allow children to hold
MY ferrets.  But I know them.  And responsible owners know and warn, Mr.
Lipinski.

When we visited Maggie, "Mazel Tov" aka "Natasha" was out.  Luis insisted
on picking her up.  Maggie warned him "she bites hard when excited." Luis,
excited himself from the trip and a bottle of tequila would not listen.
Natasha was overstimulated by the arrival of five noisy people who she did
not know.  Maggie WARNED us, however.  Now, Luis did NOT get bit.  But, it
was because of the grace of God and how he handled Natasha.  (Not mean,
BTW, but cautious....)

We have several lovely pictures of poor Natasha being held by the
"strangers." Now, we were warned and aware.  If we were not warned, what
would the consequences have been?  Would it have been the ferrets fault.
No, it would not.

Just like I warned people of Lupita in her younger years (yes she is cute
but she bites, hard.  She'll take you're arm off at the elbow if you give
her a chance.......) we were warned.  And Maggie supervised.  Just like I
supervise my four ferrets, although I trust them.

It's more a case of "know the circumstances" and "know your animal" than
whether a ferret is vicious.  Thank you Modern Ferret and George (and if I
have the wrong name, please, Eric and Mary, correct me.....) for putting it
so very, very well.

Catherine, Pato, Snowball, Hubert and Elsie
"Behind The Zion Curtain"