Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 00:29:19 -0800
Hello everyone,

My 6-8 year old rescued ferret (I've had him about 5 years) has recently
been diagnosed with CRF.  His decline has been rapid, and heartbreaking.
I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice.  The past two
weeks have been a blur of 2-3 hour naps, feedings, medicine, sub-q fluids,
and the ubiquitous roller coaster ride.

Finn's bloodwork came back very negatively last Tuesday, and apparently
represented an extremely rapid decline according to his bloodwork not 6
weeks previous to it.

His:
BUN         52.9 H  mmol/l  (normal ferret values with this lab 5.9-14.0)

Creatine   162    H umol/l                75-156

Potassium   4.1     mmol/l                 4.0-5.7

Calcium     1.26  L mmol/l                 2.31-2.70

Phosphorus 10.30  H mmol/l                 0.92-2.15

Total Protein 76  H  g/l                  50-74

Sgpt [alt]   407  H  iu/l                 87-340

Sgot [ast]   155     iu/l                100-420

Carbon Dioxide 12 L mmol/l                18-26

Anion Gap      29 H                       07-19

Creatine Phosphokinase 500 H iu/l         35-245

Gamma GT       85 H   iu/l                 4-25

Comments: Azotemia has worsened and Calcium has dropped.  Possibly due
to a marked increase in Phosphorus.  High protien likely reflects
dehydration.  ALT is now elevated and GGT has risen -hepatic problems?
Moderate acidosis reflects renal disease.  Suspect uremic ulceration.
A cautious prognosis is warranted.  Are clients giving Sub-Q fluids?

We also did a Doppler machine blood pressure measurement... 140
something... forget.  So, Finn was placed on Fortekor, Tumil-K, Pepcid-AC,
AmphoGel,Vetamino, and 20 cc Sub-Q fluids (Lactated Ringers) twice a day.
He was already taking Periactin, and Baytril.  He is fed Duck Soup
6 - 7 times per day- about 100 ml/day, and hydrated orally- was about
70-90 ml/day, now down to 50 ml/day.  His condition has worsened this
week.  We have not yet re-done the bloodwork as we are trying to determine
the efficacy of taking more blood when he is already most likely anaemic.
Yesterday was astonishing though- for the first time in almost two weeks,
he got up on his own, walked around for a good 5 minutes or so, smelled
his surroundings, and was just generally determined to do something other
than allow himself to be poked at.

Today is another bad one though.  I think he's retaining fluids.... belly
larger, bluish... raspy wet sound in his lungs- difficulty breathing...
Dr wants to see him in the next day or two, but in the meantime has him
on Lasix... somewhat at cross purposes, but the best idea for a day or
two he thinks.  Up to this point, he's lost a significant amount of weight
and muscle mass, has been twitching regularly, coughing, anorexic, mouth
ulceration, weak neck, possible/probable anaemia... He's still Finn
though, thus my reasons for not taking that final step for him: he hasn't
asked yet... it would feel too much like killing him- I keep fighting for
now, waiting to see if he can pull out of the crisis, but my instincts
tell me that is probably not a possibility.  My vet keeps me grounded-
he's been great... but I still second-guess everything.

So.  Finn is in pretty bad shape.  I worry daily about my ethical
responsibilities to Finn vs my responsibilities as a mother who loves him.
Yesterday I thought there might be a chance he was moving out of crisis,
but today I'm not so sure.  Anyway- if anyone has any thoughts, they'd be
appreciated.  Thank you.

Linda Irvine & Finn