Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:24:41 -0800
Hi,
Today, my ferrets' vet informed me that the use of peas as a binder in
ferret foods, can lead to bladder stones if fed long term. He said that
a grain-filled food is preferable to a grain-free one, unless its held
together with potato. Apparently, potatoes are safer than peas, for
some reason.

I was given a sample of Hills Science Diet m/d, Purina DM, and Pretty
Pets natural Gold. None contain peas, but the first two do contain
grains. They're all supposed to be low-carb.

All of my ferrets' foods use peas as a binder. They eat Wellness CORE,
and ZuPreem Grain Free. We just ran out of EVO Ferret, but that also
contains peas.

Since peas are bad now, what should I feed my fuzzies? I want them to
be healthy, but I don't want them eating foods which are high in grains
and carbs.

Randie