From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 09:51:45 CST6CDT
Domestic ferrets, classified exotic in Kansas, can be sold at exotic animal
auctions.  I sporadically monitor these auctions.  Unsuitable conditions for
hours and hours and then the buyers have no idea how to care for them.  It
breaks my heart.  The last one I attended had one lone ferret.  He was in an
8in x 8in x 6in home made cage - not even enough room for him to stand or
stretch out, no food, water or bedding.  I asked the attendant to bring
water which he was more than happy to do.  Buddy, the ferret, was in the
large animal (livestock) area so that children would not have access to him
and poke fingers in his tiny wire cage.  It was a rainy chilly day and there
was no heat.  Buddy's tiny cage was on a dirt floor, no warmth.  His little
body was wracked by chills as he wrapped himself into a tight ball to try
and gather any warmth he could.  I wrapped my jacket around his cage and
held him on my lap for 5 hours before the person that bought him claimed
him.  I took Buddy to her, gave her our ferret owners information book and
FFS brochure, and spent 30 minutes talking to her about ferrets.  She was
going to put him in the trunk with the chickens and I told her he would ride
just fine inside the car and shouldn't be in the trunk.  As we pulled out
the drive she looked over her shoulder to see if we were still there and she
put him in the trunk.  Tears filled my eyes.  I should have bought him, ECE
infected or not.  I've regretted not doing so ever since that dark and
dreary day.  I will be at the Horton auction in October and if Buddy returns
I WILL buy him.

Here is a list of auctions in Kansas that I'm aware of.  Please, if you are
near one of these areas go to the auction and monitor the ferrets.  Be
polite and take the mini faq with you to distribute to the buyers and leave
some on the information table.  Talk with whoever buys the ferret and given
them a number to call in case of problems, give them mine if you'd like
(Ferret Family Services, 913-456-8337).  I wear a name tag with FFS printed
on it so there is no doubt I'm there for the ferrets.  The people that work
the auctions are very interested in the information I bring and I spend much
of my time visiting with people.  In Buddys case there was someone who had
ferrets and wanted to buy him.  Unfortunately, this person was not the one
that bought him.

Take food and water.  At the one I attended there were ferret products so I
bought a bag of KayTee and fed Buddy.  He ate and ate.  The person selling
him had put a small birdseed cup in for food and I refilled it several
times.  I gave the bag of food to the woman that bought him., as well as a
lecture on ferret nutrition.

Exotic bird and animal auction-Sat., May 18, Girard, KS.  Only things listed
are birds, so don't know if ferrets are even a possibility.

Small Animal and Poultry swap meet--May 19, June 16, July 21, Aug. 18,
Sept. 15, Oct. 19--(8-noon)--Salina, KS.  No specific animals listed.

Dyster's Swap meet--West of Kansas City, KS.  --May 25, Aug. 24,
(8-3)--No specific animals listed.

Isom's Small Animal and Exotic Swap Meet--Allen, Nebraska, all day
Sat. and 8-3 on Sunday.  Ferrets are listed.  Looks like a biggie!!

Mid-America Exotic Bird and Animal Auction--Oct. 12, 96--Horton, KS.
Ferrets are listed.

Hugs to all.  tle (aka Sprite)