From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 02:45:54 -0700
To Dr. Perkins:

>I am a recent subscriber to FML and a veterinarian with a fair amount of
>ferret experience.  It is nice to see that Drs.  Weiss and Williams provide
>their insight on a regular basis.  I will try to provide advice on select
>medical problems.

[Moderator's note: We have at least a dozen DVM's on the list including
some rather famous "ferret vets".  Even though most choose to only lurk,
I'm glad info is getting out to some many good people.  And we really
appreciate those who choose to offer info too!  BIG]

    Welcome aboard - glad to see you on the FML.  It is always nice to see
another vet not only joinin gthe FML, but one who is willing to answer
advice.  There's more than enough questions to go around!!!

Regarding Carafate as a treatment for gastric ulcers, it has been my
experience that it is of great use in the treatmetn of astric ulcers.
While tis ture, it is not antibacterial in nature, it's coating action on
the ulcers is of great benefit in getting the animals back on solid food
again and its addition to therapy quickly turns the stools from black to a
more normal color (most likely as a result of decreasing the amount of
blood in the stool).  I agree that Pepto-Bismol is the preferred choice,
but the difficulty associated in getting PB into a ferret may be
counterproductive in the treatment of gastric ulcers due to the stress it
causes.  Great to have another viewpoint on the FML.  More opinions makes
for better medicine!!!

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR