From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:04:05 EST
I agree with Stephanie, after contacting several breeders in Europe, I
have truly realized how much Europe truly differs from the US.  Several
of the breeders inbreed their ferrets like mad, when i say inbreed, I
mean mother to daughter then brother to sister, then aunt to uncle.  It
was sickening.  ON top of that, most where kept in hanging cages, with
open floor bottoms and they were about 12X12X12.  I could tell in the
pictures that the ferrets toes and feet had been broken at one time or
another.  The poor ferrets where also in some pictures sent to me
obviously not in the condition they should have been.  I cried when some
sent me proudly pictures of their breeders which were worn down and
looking starved.  Being a breeder myself, I understand and have seen
ferrets go through rut for boys and also girls get thin but this was not
that.  I could not believe some of the photos sent to me, some had nails
that had grown into their toe pads, others had ears that looked like the
beginning of ear mites .  Now I know ferrets get ear mites easily and
keeping a routine cleaning can prevent most if not all chance of ear
mites but I could tell in the pictures that it was an severe mite or
possibly yeast infection in their ears.  Also another thing too are that
many breed deaf ferrets, blind ferrets, etc., doesn't matter as long as
they produced and brought them money.

I post anon because some of these breeders read these posts and I do not
wish to get into a screamin g match.  All I can say is that I have only
found 9 breeders in all of europe out of 60 that i have emailed, called,
wrote, etc. in the past 4 years, that are reputable.  It is difficult
to remember all of the names of the breeders as their were so many but I
remember FerPharm as being one that I was shocked and discouraged from
dealing with.  Also the only warning I could give other breeders looking
to send over seas, it to contact the person, ask for several pictures,
don't be afraid to ask questions and interview them, as for references ,
as for vet references, the whole nine yards.

[PA]