Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:15:31 EDT
I have forwarded this e-mail as it was sent to me via a friend.
Blizzard's human's address is at the end. I hope someone here can help.

Blizzard the Ferret - Rabies Vaccine and IBD

This is both a plea for assistance if anyone has had the same
experience, as well as a warning for those that have not.

Background Facts:

Blizzard, b. 12/18/02

Male, neutered, Marshall Farms (really cute) ferret

Happy, energetic, great muscle tone, great eyesight, great hearing,
loves people, and comes when his name is called (most of the time)

Diet: We tried unsuccessfully to switch him from Totally Ferret
kibbled food to a natural diet in the past year. He will only eat
1/2 TF and 1/2 turkey baby food.

He has been with Dr. Crum and Dr. Stahl for many happy years.

Thursday July 12, 2007 Dr. Crum, DVM gave my little Blizzard the
cleanest bill of health for a 4.5 yr old. Then he administered a
rabies vaccination made by Merial.

We stayed in the doctor's office for 20 minutes with no reaction until
the Dr. released us. 20 minutes into the drive home he had:

-  Labored breathing

-  Threw up 3 times (his breakfast, no blood)

-  His entire body got really hot

We immediately returned to the vet and Drs. Crum and Stahl worked on
him for 1/2 hour and placed him under observation for an additional
hour. The following symptoms continued throughout the rest of the day
and night:

Episodes including previous symptoms

Elevated heart rate

Elevated respiration with strange "coughing"

Blood in stools

7 days later, 7/19/07 he had pronounced episodes (strange "coughing").
We returned to the Dr. Carr, DMD who recommended 3 medications for 21
days

a. Sucrulfate (coats stomach)

b. C-Omeprazole 25 mg/ml (.25 cc) similar to Prilosac

c. C-Clarithomycin 100 mg/ml (.8 cc) antibiotic

8 days later, 7/20/07 he had a bad episode (strange "coughing") in the
evening

15 days later, day 7/27/07. The vet sends the following email, "The
meds that we are treating him with are for helicobacter, which is in
the GI tract of all ferrets (people, too). When his immune system was
stressed by the rabies reaction (he has been over the reaction within
a couple days of the initial onset), the helicobacter increased in
numbers, and thus caused an issue. He will always have helicobacter and
always has. If he has any other major stress to his system in his life,
yes, he could have a flare up. He doesn't have the "bad stuff" in his
system from the rabies vaccine. We use merial , imrab rabies vaccine
which is the only one approved (by law) to use in ferrets. "

16 days later, 7/28/07 he had another bad episode (strange "coughing")
during the late afternoon

24 days later, 8/5/07 he he threw up in/around his water dish in his
cage (we were not in the house at the time).

26 days later, 8/7/07. 3:20pm An episode (strange "coughing") lasted
for about 5 seconds.

Blizzard's stools had been consistently black and tarry.

After the Dr. inspected his feces on 8/14/07, he said, "the color and
consistency of inflammatory bowel disease. I see no black or tarry
portion to the droppings. The question is where do we go from here.
The first step I would do is to get Blizzard off of the baby food and
try to get him on a single type of pelleted ration. A hypoallergenic
diet that I commonly use is ZD feline diet from Hills or Waltham Duck
and Rice feline."

34 days later, 8/15/07. 1:25am An episode (strange "coughing") lasted
for about 5 seconds.

40 days later, 8/21/07. 1:15pm An episode of dry heaves lasting for
about 25-30 seconds and again at 4:15pm. He also was "chewing" even
though there was nothing to "chew" on. His poops are looking much
better.

It took ten (10) places to find the ZD feline diet, no one has ever
heard of Waltham Duck, and of course little Blizzard will not eat it
in any shape or form!

I continue to feel responsible for bringing him to the Dr. to get the
rabies shot. I strive to care for, protect, and love Blizzard every
day.

The question is, what is your (the group's) advice? Has anyone else
gone through this? If so, please tell me the outcome, especially as
it may pertain to diet. What are the dry heaves about?

I wish to thank you all ahead of time for your time and thoughts about
what to do with my cute little Blizzard as he continues to play well
and hike well, although he wishes to be left alone often which is not
like him. He hasn't slept with us since he has gotten the rabies
vaccination only the night of 8/14.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Mark Sonder, CSEP