From:
jennifer hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 21:45:24 -0400
Sukie,

You posted and emailed the following:

>I'm afraid that sadly it is not news that a lot of past input has
>indicated that apparently deafness substantially increases the abuse of
>ferrets; through the years shelters and rehabbers have posted time and
>again about this....
>A similar problem can be found with some other deaf animals.  That is
>a good part of the reason why Wolfy went to the trouble of creating the
>deaf ferrets list...

And I will say that I myself appreciate Wolfy's part of the website
because after I found out about Julia being deaf, I joined the FML (found
about it through a friend), and Wolfy's website was one of the ones that
I checked when I looked for info for my Julia.  But, when I read her
post the other day, it seemed as if she was saying that deaf ferrets are
subject to abuse instead of may be subject to abuse, and I was offended
because I would never think of harming her because of a disability, and
I know other people who would do what was in the best interest of their
deaf ferrets as well.  I thought that it was a very general statement
that could be perceived as offensive to those of us who do care for our
ferrets well.  That was all

Jennifer