From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 20:43:15 -0400
As of 8:30PM EDT 10/4/95.  Hurricane Opal made landfall in Pensacola Fl.

We made every effot to reach Ferret Shelters in Opal's path.  Gulf Coast
Ferret Rescue in Chickasaw, AL has been contacted twice today prior to
Landfall and they were preparing for Opal.  In residence they have 6 ferrets,
38 dogs, 21 cats and 2 birds.  When we first called her this morning the
Ferret count was only 4 - but people were evacuating and two more ferrets
were dropped off.

FFDRI is expecting a call from the GCFR as soon as the storm pass' over.
Georgia clubs and shelters have been contacted and are preparing for some
nasty weather (the Georgia shelters are prepared for rescue should the need
arise).

If you know of a ferret owner or shelter that has been struck by this
Hurricane please have them contact us at 407-567-0994 (if we are not in
please leave a detailed message).  If you have been struck by this hurricane
there are things we need to know:  Who you are,  a contact point to get in
touch with you.  How many and what kind of animals are effected.  What your
immediate needs are i.e. medication, medical help, food, etc.

We will let you all know how the various shelters are doing as soon as we
know.

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends Disaster Response International