From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:06:57 -0700
Hi,
I was wondering, can distemper be contracted from other means than direct
contact with other infected animals (such as contaminated fomites)

Or for example the bottom of a shoe and then brought into the house.
I know the virus is shed in conjunctival, nasal, oral exudates, urine,
and feces.

What about fleas (as vectors) transmitting the disease?

If this is a possibility and distemper is 100% fatal, seems like
vaccinating would be the way to go unless severe, life threatening
reactions have occurred (anaphylaxis)

One last question, one of my young ferrets had a reaction with vomiting,
bloody feces and lethargy.  He was promptly treated since I wait at least
45 min in the vets office.  But it was still pretty scary.

Will the next distemper vaccine cause a more severe reaction in him?

Also, how much benadryl should be used to pre treat ferrets before shots?

thank you
suzi