From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:58 -0500
For those of you (Michael included) who were baffled by the last post in
yesterday's list, that's because for some reason, the MESSAGE I typed never
made it, only the subject and my signature!

I was trying to reply to Michael's shelter poem.  I wanted to say that I
couldn't believe how effectively he captured the emotions of a shelter
director, if he doesn't run one himself.  The poem will certainly be used by
the PFRA, and I wanted to thank him!  For those of you who still want to
send poems, however, don't let Michael's success stop you; we intend to make
prints and notecards of the poems, and we don't need to stop at just one.

I have a question out there to anyone familiar with Pine Fresh cat litter.
I *know* that you aren't supposed to use any kind of wood chips with
ferrets, especially cedar, but I've heard warnings about pine too.  However,
I found a litter at Weis Markets that works *extremely* well on odor; it's
Pine Fresh, and it completely absorbs all ammonia odor.  When it's used, it
smells like moist wood rather than, well, ferret piddle.

I was going to stop using it immediately when I found out that pine isn't
good for ferrets (I always thought that only cedar was bad).  However, at
the AFA Ferret Expo there was an ad for a litter in the show catalog.  It's
called Feline Pine, and the caption at the top of the ad said "Did you know
the world's best cat litter is also best for ferrets?" In the text of the
ad, it clarifies: "All natural Feline Pine is made from compressed, 100% pur
pine sawdust so there's no chemicals or additives to worry about.  And
unlike wood shavings, all the oils have been pressed out, so your ferret's
delicate respiratory system won't be irritated."

Now, this stuff seems to be exactly like Pine Fresh, but unfortunately, on
the Pine Fresh bag it says nothing about being oil-free or pressed, etc.
For that matter, there's no description at all on the Pine Fresh bag, other
than to say that it's cat litter and to give usage information.

I really want to keep using this Pine Fresh (as I haven't found a store that
sells Feline Pine around here).  However, the health and safety of my
ferrets comes first.  Anyone know about this product?  Any other info on
pine litters to determine if Pine Fresh is good/bad?  It's a pelleted
litter.

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM