From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 06:53:46 -0500
To Paula and Matt:

Yes, a couple of theories on towel eating is that ferrets are either bored
or lacking something in their diet.  Neither of those apply to my towel
eaters:  their diet consists of a mix of Totally Ferret, Marshall Farms
Premium Ferret Diet, Proplan Turkey/Barley, and Proplan Kitten Formula.
These guys have up time every day so that's not it either.  (Although on
days when I'm late getting them out - they protest by cage-door banging!)

To Pat Ball:

I personally have not used petromalt - but in the Omaha Catalog, it is
described as an "intestinal lubricant.....that aids in the elimination
of hair accumulation (hair balls).  Laxatone is described as a "lubricant
for hair ball removal" and additionally contains iron, linoleic acid,
and linolenic acid (these are also found in Ferretone and Linatone).

My own personal practice has been this: when I have the choice of
purchasing a product from a vet or pet store, I most always choose that
brand carried by the vet....this is particularly important when choosing
such products as flea sprays, shampoos, etc.  This doesn't mean you have to
buy it from a vet - many of the wholesale catalogs carry the same brands as
the vets do, but I try to stick with the stuff that the vets choose.

I have known others that have used petromalt without any problems, but
my personal choice is Laxatone.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA