From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:48:32 -0500
When Kermit was diagnosed with EG about three years ago, my vet did not
need to do a biopsy of the intestine.  He thought it was lymphosarcoma at
first and sent blood to a lab.  After the usual (and inconclusive) panel of
results, he asked them to further test the blood with a more sophisticated
and detailed test.  The results included the number of eosinophils and
mesophils present.  (These are cells that comprise two of the layers of the
intestinal wall.) The eosinophil count was 36 and the mesophil count was 5.
I think he said that there shouldn't have been any eosinophils present at
all, but I'm not sure of that anymore.  In any case, this was sufficient
for him to decide to treat Kermit with an antibiotic and prednisone.
Kermit quickly gained weight and energy.

I have never been able to wean Kermit entirely off the pred without
triggering a recurrence of the EO, but I am able to reduce the dosage
to .5cc most of the time.  I raise it to .75cc or even 1cc (Kermit weighs
around 3lbs) when he has a flare up, then lower it again when he seems
better.  In his case, I know he is having a flare up when his poops are
little black cow-pies, and I can treat him before he loses weight and
energy.

Maybe Dr. Williams could provide the name of the test I'm referring to and
suggest how high an eosinophil count would indicate that a ferret owner
could try treatment without the biopsy?

Blessings
Judith