From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:19:13 -0800
>From:    "Juliana Quadrozzi - (GDFA)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Descenting
>I did read an AFA newsletter article recently by a vet ... who says she did
>see some problems develop, later on in life, in the anal glands of ferrets
>that hadn't been descented.  She feels there may be some MEDICAL merit to
>descenting.  Through the years, & 21 personal frits (not to mention dozens
>of fosters), only Gus & Little Bit had anal gland problems - 1 impacted & 1
>infected - BUT THEY WERE BOTH (MARSHALLS) DESCENTED.

The article in the American Ferret Report was the opinion of the author.
This has been brought up before here in the FML and at that time I clarified
that this is not the opinion of the AFA or even of very many of its members.
The AFR prides itself on printing differing viewpoints.

Most of us that are breeders and ferret owners that happen to be in the AFA
have opinions along the lines "Descenting is not necessary or very helpful".
President Sally Heber has spoken to me about this.  Her view was the above
but added (paraphrased) "If descenting is the only way for someone to accept
a ferret that its alright to descent." Seems pretty level headed to me.

Personally we encourage people not to descent their ferrets.  Our vet gave
us this advice when we brought our first ferret in for the surgery.  Since
that time we've received this advice from several vets and other
knowledgeable ferret folks.

We always get accused (though mentioning only bill's name for some reason)
of always bringing up the political affiliations.  The GDFA is a LIFE
affiliated club that has brought up this ancient topic and then tried to
make it seem like the AFA was wrong.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/