From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 18:02:02 +0800
Sukie said:
>Shirley, a bachelors degree is NOT AT ALL the same as a doctorate,
>it is the first step of moving toward trying to qualify to do later
>work to get a doctorate.

As I clearly stated in my post, it is different in other countries.

From http://www.reference.com/search?q=doctorate

***"The title of "Doctor" is often used both by, and of those holding
research doctorates or limited professional (usually medical)
doctorates. In the UK and most Commonwealth countries this title has
for many centuries also been accorded to holders of the degree of
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (equivalent to the degree of Doctor of
Medicine in the US and elsewhere). However in the UK, for historical
reasons, members of the surgical Royal Colleges are not addressed as
"Doctor", but as Mister, Miss, etc".

and

***"It should be noted that titling of first professional degrees
in the above-named fields as a "doctorate" is a uniquely American
convention that is not utilized in most other countries. In many other
countries, the equivalent" degree is often a bachelor's or master's
degree (for example, Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Bachelor of
Law). In fact, U.S. law schools used to name their law degree the
LL.B. (Bachelor of Law) before renaming the degree to J.D. (Doctor
of Jurisprudence)."

So it may well be that the person that you are concerned about,
referring to him/herself as "doctor" may well be entitled to the
title if educated outside of the US.

Shirley