From:
Judy Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 19:42:10 -0700
First of all the discussion is probably moot for a Ferret Mailing List as
the information pertains to another species.  The information was put out
for you to consider.  I will say I don't live on Mars and distemper whether
canine or feline or ferret is as common here in Washington as anyplace.  I
don't vaccinate my dogs, cats or the ferrets I keep for myself once they
are past 1 year of age.  I have NEVER lost a ferret to any disease!  I have
never lost a cat to distemper!  The only dogs we ever lost to distemper
were already vaccinated when we got them and we still lost them after
almost $3000- worth of care.

I do vaccinate all the baby ferrets, in the accepted and routine manner
because I won't make that decision for the new owners!

Just so someone doesn't try to say we haven't had any experience with
animals I would like to state that I have raised top quality prize winning
Borzois, Saanen goats, cattle, horses, swine, and various fowl.  All got
the same thing - super preventative care and no vaccinations after 1 year
of age.  And they all went to fairs and shows and were exposed to
everything under the sun.

This is not saying anyone else should do this, but you have to make your
own decisions.  That is what this ferret list is about (I think) a place to
bring up ideas for discussion.

So have fun with this one, its a beaut.  Judy