From:
Deborah Kemmerer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 23:54:00 -0400
The ethoxyquin thing has been around almost as long as I can remember.
There is absolutely no evidence of which I am aware that ethoxyquin causes
any harm at all.  Someone a long time ago just picked up on the fact that
it's a compound used in rubber, so it MUST BE BAD.  There is no evidence
to support this.

If anyone has any facts to dispute this, I'm open to information.

As for pineapple juice for hairballs: Yes, it works fairly well in RABBITS
because rabbit hairballs are composed of rabbit hair and rabbit food, which
is completely vegetable in nature.  Rabbits are strict herbivores.  Ferrets
are strict carnivores, and their hairballs have a completely different
composition.  Pineapple juice will not, repeat not, break down ferret
hairballs.

Debbie Kemmerer DVM