From:
Bill Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:34:33 -0400
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]> said:
>2) The quickest way to share your fuzzie pics is to put just a
>thumbnail-sized pic somewhere high up on your primary Web Page...
>If your actual FTP address is:
>http://www.geocities.com/thispage/thatpage/9876/
>then you would FTP your pic to that address, then link the thumbnail pics
>like this:
>http://www.geocities.com/thispage/thatpage/9876/cutefuzziepic.jpg

Just a nit, but I think you mean Web server (i.e. http server) rather than
ftp server.  They are different.  A ftp server address would have a url
something like
ftp://www.geocities.com/thispage/thatpage/9876/cutefuzziepic.jpg (I have no
idea if www.geocities.com actually has a publicly usable ftp server).

Other than that nit, good points.  I would like to add that for each
thumbnail image downloaded some time-consuming negotiations takes place
between the user's web browser and the web server.  If you have a lot of
images available instead of a separate thumbnail image for each picture it
is more efficient to collect all of the thumbnails into one big image and
set up an imagemap so that when the user clicks on one of the thumbnails in
the map a full-size version of the picture is brought up.  That is what I
have done on my image gallery page http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/images/
(now up to 114 images -- a cute one of Jasmine about to pounce on Charlie
got added today).

--- Bill Sebok with Buttercup, Bridgett, Jasmine, Bonnie and Charlie (in
    loving memory of Ben and Jerry)