Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:39:15 -0400
Dr. G,

I feel as if you are taking these discussions and opinions as
very personal, literal, and narrow minded to be quite frank. I read
Doodlebugs' post as a remembrance and also a description of an
experience. It was a comparison between vetting differences throughout
his life time. He further added observations of what is going on around
him geographically. He was very specific in saying so. I was extremely
specific in saying that my observations were very geographic and in
the vet community that my family is part of in South Jersey! Did you
not also see my observations in the South that support what you say
and MORE? Please, don't generalize your experiences and what you've
seen over to our experiences and what we are seeing in the rest of
the country. I posted very causally and unemotionally about my
observations, plain and simple. I didn't claim that I knew what the vet
situation is in NY or Ca, or anywhere that I am not privy to. I don't
want to disrespect anyone with anything that I say. But when someone
tells me that I'm not seeing what I am seeing, that my brother and his
other vet friends do not own Jags, properties, and more where I am from
it frustrates me.

Misinformed? I think not. I wrote a very enlightening article in
Ferrets magazine last year about this very subject. I was very thorough
in my research with several vets across the country, have lived in many
parts of the country, and have my own experiences to draw from. In
addition, I have been extremely blessed to have attended every single
International Ferret Symposium held by the IFC as well as forums. I
have spoken with and discussed these topics at length for days at
at time with vets from around the world. You are right in that
specialization is necessary. I concede that, I had even expressed what
you did yesterday at length in in my article. I should have included
that, but I didn't think to do so as my post was a personal one, not
a research paper. However, on the flip side, it is indeed a trend to
specialize. People are just that ... people. Good and bad. And there
are those that succumb to the prestige and money involved in
specializing. A current problem in the country in fact, is the issue
that we are having with vets claiming to specialize that don't! They
try to umbrella some animals as exotics that aren't. This is a fact.
There is an organization now forming in California headed up by vets to
try and control this phenomenon where they live. They hope to spread
their wings nationwide or at least inspire other vets to also do the
same where they live in hopes that they can at least try to rein this
problem in. There is prestige in turning a client down, in order to
keep their rep up and to keep openings for referrals for their
specialty. There is prestige from claiming to specialize in something
when you truly are not qualified as well. Once again, I am being very
specific in saying that this is not all, not even most vets. But we do
have problems and there are plenty contributing to those problems.

I never said that all vets are not available. What I was describing was
the vast difference between vets generations ago and today through out
my post. And today, in some areas of the country, it's unusual to find
a vet who will simply take a phone call off their bankers hours, and
yes some vets do have bankers hours. I don't think anyone expects them
to be at their beck and call 24/7 physically. At least I hope not (once
again, clients are people too, good and bad). But a number for a true
emergency or for just some friendly guidance is not a lot to ask of any
doctor for human or not.

We agree, that specialization is necessary due to the explosive
information age. We agree that many vets are very selfless people and
who have worked harder than I ever can imagine for anything that they
gain (depending on the area once again). We agree, congrats to my
brother. I stand by the fact that schools could offer a bit more
experience with other animals and not turn out people already
specialized in some cases. I stand by the fact that there are good
people and tempted people who have other reasons to specialize and can
even lie about it. Once again, I'll say that is not the situation in
most cases, but that it is a problem. I am confused as to why you'd
think that John, also from NJ, and I are imagining what we are seeing
with affluent vets and the problematic attitudes that we can face
there. At the same time, I am confused as to why you did not see that
much of my post was about how I marveled that so many vets could even
make it in the South, where I now live. I'm not in disagreement with
you or John. I was supporting you BOTH in the same post! I feel a bit
sad about that you didn't see it that way. I guess you can't make
everyone happy no matter how hard you try. Oh well, I tried.

I just want the "bad eggs" to better themselves and not reflect on good
people like you. There is a problem.d It feels like it is growing. It
hurts you, it hurts the public, it hurts the animals. And it needs to
be addressed and solved somehow.