From:
Michele Paulhus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:58:39 -0700
I haven't been able to bring myself to write this email before now-but,
I think it's something of which people need to be aware...(regarding
the DMK Kids)

I lost my little man, Goliath on Wednesday, March 19. He was among the
first 12 McKids that came to Massachusetts.

Over the weekend I noticed that he had lost some weight (which, in New
England is perfectly normal this time of year) and he wasn't acting
totally himself--so, I was keeping an eye on him. He wasn't getting
worse, but he wasn't getting better-so, on Wednesday I made an appt
with his regular vet to see him the following day. Over the course of
the evening on Wed, he started to be very lethargic and was scaring me,
so I brought him to one of our local emergency vets. (fortunately, they
had a ferret experienced vet on that night).

Over the course of a couple hours he totally crashed--his organs were
starting to shut down and he was heading into Sepsis. Upon ultrasound 2
growths were observed (either in his liver or spleen, at the time, they
could not determine which) I had hoped to get him somewhat stable over
the night and then bring him to my vet the following morning--but, it
was unlikely at that point, that he would have made it through the
night, So I made the decision to let him go. They determined that his
diagnosis was lymphoma.

This whole thing happened within 3 / 4 days. Prior to that--he was
bouncing and running and acting PERFECTLY normal. He was so alive and
vibrant--and appeared to be in wonderful health. He was LITERALLY the
last ferret in my house to which I would have expected this to happen.

I am posting this now, because I want people to know and be aware. As
you all know, there are so many things about these kids that we don't
know and are unable to track. So, I figure, forewarned might be
forearmed. I am told that there is absolutely nothing I could have
done, and I know that intellectually--however, a piece of my heart
tells me that maybe if I had gotten him in that very first day--there
is something that we could have done, at least to keep him around a
little longer.

Thanks for reading and please, give your kids an extra kiss from "Aunty
Shelly"

Be Well,
Michele Paulhus

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing,
therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any
fellow travelor, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it,
for I shall not pass this way again.