Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:04:35 EDT
>The pot/pan drawer below the stove is therefore basically inaccessible,
>until such time I choose to take out the upteen number of xmas coffee cups
>stored there.  Pots/pans are relocated to other storage areas for the
>safety of ferrets.  If anyone wants to come by my home and personally see
>this barricade, please let me know.
>Shari Gunter - Raleigh, NC

 ----
Most stoves like the one you talk about slides into the opening.  They
generally have "adjustments" on the legs.  You can turn these legs to lower
the stove.  Make sure the space between the floor and stove is no more than
1 inch off the floor.  Also, make sure your ferrets cannot get behind or
under your refrigerator, this too is a death zone for ferrets.  As for the
refrigerator, they too have adjustments on the legs.  I was on the floor
measuring the grill to make sure it was less than 1 inch off the floor.
When they delivered my refrigerator, before they left, I measured again,
and sure enough one side was 1 1/2 inches off the floor, and the other 1
inch.  I told them the left side had to be adjusted down, they told me my
frig would not be level, I told them "I don't care!  Lower it I had to buy
a solid oak stand to put on one side of the frig, so that my fuzzies could
not get into it from the side, the other side butts up to the wall.  I
received a call from a woman whose ferret got electrocuted from getting
under the frig.  So that is why I warn all!  I have also "plexi-glassed" my
entry way, where there are stairs.  They could fall through the oak slats
clear to the second floor if I had not done this.  Funny thing, most all
people don't even notice the Plexiglas since it is clear.
Patty - FML response

 -----
We use white laminated shelf boards.  You can buy them with the laminate on
all sides/edges, or use the ones that have only the front edge covered.
Laminated 'boards' are heavy, blend in with kitchens, and are scratch/chew
proof.  If some of the edges are not laminated, those can be ruined by
'unauthorized liquids'.  The boards come in various thickness, so you can
usually get a tight fit by using different width boards.  We have boards
covered with laminate behind our stove, under the front of the fridge and
behind it.  Resources can be found at: Home Depot/Lowe's Home Improvement.
Georgia - FML response

 -----
I too had a problem with the back of the cooker when I had my first furkid
and she was small enough to get under and around to the back of and then
into the inside of the cooker.  My hubby and I came up with the solution of
getting some metal mesh from a D.I.Y. shop and screwing it onto the back
of the cooker useing the existing screws and holes to secure it all in
place and yes it works the other four furkids that have arrived by stealth
into our home and hearts have never been able to get into the silver
lineing that they can see.
Annie - FML response

 -----
Well I have done this to two different stoves now, one without a drawer on
bottom (but had a huge fan, it was a jenn aire) and my current stove that
has a drawer I need to get into.  First, the drawer- I did have to put a
child proof latch on it since Miss Stella could pull the drawer open.  I
used a latch that is made for a refrigerator.  To prevent the ferrets from
going underneath the stove, again Miss Stella, I used wood trim.  I then
cut three pieces, one for the front and two for the sides.  In my first
stove, it was mitered and then connected to each other with angle brackets
on the stove side so they wouldn't show.  Then it was toenailed into the
kick plate on the bottom of the cabinets.  I stained the wood to match the
kitchen cabinets and everyone loved it.  On this stove, to make it more
accessible due to the drawer, I simple took the three pieces of cut trim
and used velcro to put them onto the stove itself.  It is strong enough to
keep the ferrets from pulling off the pieces and it fills the gap at the
bottom so they can't go under.  When I open the drawer, the side pieces
stay in place and the front piece moves out with the front of the drawer.
Think of a big u shape in either situation.  It is easy and fairly cheap,
depending on how fancy a trim you get.  You can use baseboard or any other
decorative trim.  What I got is around 3-4 inches tall, and is patterned.
I have also used this basic idea, with plain 1x4, to wrap the bottoms of
washer and dryers to prevent access there.  I have then taped or velcroed
on shaped pieces of masonite to cover hose holes and such on the back of
them.  I have also used stove pipe to cover the vent hose for the dryers to
block access there.  Masonite can also be cut to span a door and slips into
an easily made channel on the door frame.  I used quarter round placed in
front of the door stops already on the door frame to make a channel about a
quarter inch wide.  The masonite is then cut to a height of 2 feet (hey I
got stump legs ok?) and slide into place.  I cut a channel out of a mailing
tube to slide over the top of the masonite for added security.  I have only
had one ferret defeat this system.  Or you can use Plexiglas (much more
expensive) and make it stronger by screwing small strips of wood to the top
and bottom on both sides, not going all the way across to leave room for
the channel.  This makes the Plexiglas sturdy enough that the ferrets can't
push it out of the channel.
Maggie - FML response

 -----
Fortunately, our current stove is not a problem but the refrigerator was.
We got caging, cut a strip to size and attached it to the legs with wire.
Works marvelously and can be taken off for cleaning.  It is hard to get
small amounts of caging, though.  Normally it comes in large rolls.  Small
amounts may be something a ferret business could offer for sale.  In our
case we have a cage I have worked major modifications for, taking it to a
fine height and six levels.  Had spare caging from that project, and spent
a good while healing from the wire cuts (with several scarred but that's
fine since arms and hands are covered with scars from working with primates
years ago) and sore hands of doing the cage.  The custom job was worth it.
Sukie - FML response

 -----
Hi, we use a lot of gas stoves in the UK and if they are being ferret
proofed remember they need an open air vent, block this up and your stove
will start producing carbon monoxide.
Chris - FML response