From:
Vesna Kovach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 21:34:04 +0000
Below my signature, I've included the complete text of an important letter
from Dr. James Kazmierczk, an epidemiologist with the State of Wisconsin.

This letter is the official notice that was sent to Public Health
Departments and other facilities in Wisconsin to inform them that ferret
bite policy has changed.  Dr. Kazmierczak faxed it to me on December 3.
Sukie Crandall was good enough to give me contact information for him.
Thanks, Sukie!

On the phone, Dr. Kazmierczak told me this was a "very easy decision to
make" because of the recent clinical findings.  He said it was all about the
shedding period data.

Vesna Kovach
Editor, Madison Pet Gazette
(608) 249-8707

You're invited to visit the Madison Pet Gazette Online Edition.  Please
enjoy the fresh, fun, and relevant stories about all kinds of pets at our
web site!  http://www.petgazette.net (it rhymes!)

 ----begin letter----

 TO:     Directors, Local Public Health Departments
 Tribal Health Clinics
 DOH Regional Offices

 FROM:   James J. Kazmierczak, DVM, MS
 Communicable Disease Section, Bureau of Public Health

 RE:     New guidelines on management of ferret bites
 DATE:   November 6, 1997

Based on recently completed research, the management of ferrets that bite
humans has changed.

In the past, because the period of rabies virus shedding in ferrets was
unknown, these animals typically had to be euthanized and tested for rabies
if they exposed a human.  However, experimental infection studies conducted
by researchers from Kansas State University and the Centers for Disease
Control (CDC) have recently demonstrated that rabies-infected ferrets which
shed rabies virus in their saliva begin shedding almost simultaneously with
the onset of overt clinical signs of rabies.

These findings indicate that ferrets which bite humans can be managed in the
same manner that biting dogs and cats are currently managed - i.e., by
quarantine and observation instead of by euthanasia and testing.  I have
been informed that the National Association of State Public Health
Veterinarians will adopt this position in their next version of "Compendium
of Animal Rabies Control" a set of annual national guidelines to be
published by the CDC in 1998.

Despite the fact that these new ferret bite guidelines are not yet
published, I recommend that, effective immediately, ferrets which bite
humans in Wisconsin be managed in the following mariner:

1.  Ferrets which are showing no signs compatible with rabies should be
quarantined for ten days, with three veterinary examinations during the
quarantine period (at the beginning of quarantine, end of quarantine, and
one intervening day).  If the ferret remains well throughout the quarantine
period, the bite victim would not require post-exposure prophylaxis against
rabies.

  a.  For ferrets not currently immunized against rabies, the quarantine
  must be performed in an isolation facility (e.g., veterinary clinic,
  animal shelter).

  b.  For ferrets currently immunizedagainst rabies, the officer who orders
  the quarantine *may* permit the quarantine to be performed on the owner's
  premises.

2.  Ferrets which show clinical signs compatible with rabies, either at the
time of the bite or during the quarantine period, must immediately be
euthanized and the head submitted to the State Laboratory of Hygiene for
rabies testing.

Those of you familiar with Wisconsin's rabies control statutes (ss95.21)
will note that these guidelines are identical to those for the management of
dogs and cats which bite humans It should be noted that until these statutes
are revised, there is no authority in statute for an officer (i.e., local
health officer, animal control officer, law enforcement officer) to order
the quarantine of a biting ferret.  However, an officer clearly has the
authority under current statute to order the ferret killed and tested.
Thus, I am confident that quarantine order for biting ferrets will rarely be
challenged by the owner

I have spoken with Dr. Yvonne Bellay of the Department of Agriculture,
Trade, and Consumer Protection about what her recommendations win be if a
ferret is exposed to a rabid animal.  In light of the new research findings,
she recommends managing such ferrets in the manner delineated for exposed
dogs and cats under ss95.21.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.  Please share this memo with
the appropriate parties within your jurisdiction who deal with the
management of animal bites.  If you have any questions about ferrets which
expose humans p1cm call me at 608/266-2154.  For questions regarding ferrets
which are exposed to a rabid or potentially rabid animal, please call Dr.
Bellay at 608/224-4888.
 ----end letter----