From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 10:16:05 -0500
I had a great time over the weekend ...  I took my 9 month old silver mitt,
Pepper, with me to the shopping center (strip mall) where one of those large
pet supply stores are located who let you bring in your pets.  We walked
around looking for Totally Ferret (I can't find it in my area again, can
anyone help?  I'm in Pittsburgh) and we thoroughly enjoyed all the
attention.  But the best part was a family who stopped to talk and Pepper
managed to drag my jacket onto the floor and proceeded to show them what
ferrets do best -- play!  He had attracted a circle of onlookers by the time
he poked his head out my sleeve.  These people were amazed!  :) We were
getting Ooooos and Ahhhhs from three isles up!  When he stuck his nose out
the sleeve and writhed about (look mom, I'm a worm!) the crowd exclaimed!
Heh.

After we'd played in the pet store a while (he really, really wanted to
knock off all the dog-training dumbbells) we started up the sidewalk and got
about 10 feet before having another impromptu education session with a
different family.  It helps that Pepper is rather large, very fluffy, and
happy to climb down anyone's jacket if permitted.  These two kids (looked
like ages 9 and 10) were doing a serious sell job on their mom in a bid for
a pet ferret (they apparently knew someone who has one).  By the end of the
session (Pepper had climbed up my leg, down my jacket and out my sleeve) I
could tell she was seriously considering it.  :)

I LOVE being a ferret missionary!

--Barb--
Barbara Carlson                   Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA
[log in to unmask]                                      (412) 481-5927
 http://www.gsia.cmu.edu/andrew/bcarlson/home.html (under construction)
Thought for the day:
    If "boring women have immaculate homes," I must be very interesting!