From:
Jean McKim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:37:13 EDT
Is seven old for a pet? :)  If species is not an issue than I am in trouble.
I could write about my 1st ferret who was 9 1/2 when she died.  Or about my
canary, RIngo, who was at least 10.  Or my queenly cat, Mickey, who died
this past Valentine's day at age 12.  And those are just the ones who have
crossed over.  We now have a 10 year old cockatoo, a 12 year old lab mix
(the vet said she doesn't seem like she is more than 6, she is in such good
health), a 7 year old Scottie, a 12 year old cat, and a seven and a half
year old ferret who is in perfect health (so far).  I expect all my animals
to live to at least 9 (except the hamster - he was four).  We lost one
ferret at age 5, but we had a fairly inexperienced vet and I bet with all I
know now, he would have made it to 9 or so.  Anyone else out there who has
pets like this who tend to live longer than average life spans?  I have 5
ferrets who are 3-4 years old and I took them all on for the long haul.  I
figure they aren't even half done yet!  Maybe it's all that money I spend
on the good pet food.  I hope so - it would justify the expense.

Jean
The ferrets:  Sugar (7), Zorro (3?), Duncan (3), Mister (2-3?), Kari (2?),
Misty (2?)
Dogs:  Bonnie (12), Dudley (7)
Cats:  RT (12), Missy (3?)
Birds:  Angel (10), Maestro (canary- 3), about 30 zebra finches (assorted
ages)
All but the small birds are rescues or pound animals (not babies) -- Do it,
the rewards are great.