From:
Toaster Man <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1992 12:13:08 -0400
Hi everyone....

Give your ferrets an extra hug for me today.  Since I lost Bear I have been
totally devistated. :(  I keep wanting to blame my self.  Like I wish i could
have prevented him from getting on the sink area.  My biggest one is I WISH
I would have acted right and what I mean by that is taking him to the RIGHT
vet that knows what they were doing.  I took him to my vet and she said that
he probably has a very upset stomach and possible could have a blockage.
She gave him some dehydration shots and some form of laxitive.  She told me
to come back tomorrow if nothing comes out.  Boy if I would have known how
fast ferrets can die with a blockage. The reason Im writting this down is to
inform you that how serious a problem like this is.  Find a vet that knows
what they are doing and when you take them in for something think about it
as a worst case serniero (sp)  So what if you sound like a paranoid ferret
owner every time you go to the vet.  I say its better to be safe than sorry.
Please learn the lesson right now before you lose a loved one like I did.
Take it from me they go very fast.  I never ever thought something like this
would happen all it took was a weekend. :( *sigh*  I just cant forgive my self
for not takeing him to the right place.  I know when we lose a loved one we wish
that we could of done something else. My other ferret (Smokey) seems really
depressed to.  He's been sniffing around looking for my other ferret.  I have
stayed up to two days now.  Let see if we can get someone to compile a list
of good vets around the country.  Thanks for all the calls I received.
but as someone mentioned before this email business of emergency stuff just
isnt fast enough.  Sorry Chris Im not trying to blame you for anything I know
your doing your job as best as you can.  For the people that have UNix access
their is such a thinkg as a real time chat system on the internet.  Its called
IRC the source can be found on ftp cs.bu.ede in /irc make sure you get the
right client for your system their is a unix and a vax one.  Do all the
necessary changes and this can be your server  "close.cs.columbia.edu"  Im on
 their
ususally everyday talking to friends I have out of state cheaper than a phone
bill.  For anyone that would be interested I would like to see some of you
on their maybe like a weekly meeting or monthly were we can all talk real time.
Please let me know if anyone is interested and needs more info on this.

["IRC" is only usable to sites that are *really* on the Internet, and wish
to run it.  Which is rather unlikely on many sites - IRC does occupy
significant network load.  I suspect very few members of the ferret mailing
list could avail themselves of it.  Including me.]

Also I would like to see if we can compile a list of people that would be
available 24hrs a day in emergencys.  If one has been already compiled please
re-post it.. Sorry if I sound like im trying to run the world.  I just don't
want anyone to have to go though what im going though.  Some People need to be
better informed about ferrets (like I did)

My last question is...  I would like to have another ferret however i think
im goign to adopt one from some one.  I feel really bad even thinking about
getting another ferret right now.  I know I cant replace my lost one and i dont
intend to, but I know  Smokey is really depressed and need someone.  I held him
all last night.  *gulp*  Can I get some input from people that have lost a
 ferret
and  gotten another one?  I found one in the paper he is a 1 year old male sable
very frisky and full of energy.  Will my other ferret adapt?  Since I will
be taking him away from his home how will he adapt?
I sure hope it gets easier to deal with one that has past way.  May Bear rest
in Peace and be taking good care of .92'

[Please make sure your editor wraps lines properly.]

Well I better drag myself to class.  I can't afford to miss much.
*sigh*

Everyone Take care..

Steve Tietze
913-587-0766