From:
Jennifer Lapierre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 11:39:25 -0400
After getting my second ferret, I started to itch a month later.  I itched
for 5 months through 4 doctors' visits, and none knew what it was.  I
finally demanded a skin scrape, and it was mites.  The dermatologist said
that even with a microscope, it is impossible to distinguish canine mites
from scabies, so she didn't know which kind of mites I had.  I know that
scabies is incredibly contagious and my boyfriend, with whom I live, never
itched at all.  WHich is why I think that I had canine mites, which CAN
attack humans, but prefer animals.  (No, we don't have a dog or a cat).

Is there a way to test the ferrets for canine mites?  They don't have any
symptoms that dogs with mites experience, nor do they have mites in their
ears.  Any advice is much appreciated.  Thanks.  ---Jenn