From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:06:29 -0400
The mistake of calling any adrenal growths or any pancreatic growths
"cancer" is a common one.

In the following you also will learn why and learn what the terms mean
as well as learning tidbit like most adrenal growths being benign
neoplasia which still need care:
http://www.afip.org/consultation/vetpath/ferrets/PDF/neoplasia.pdf

Note that sometimes -- rarely for the pancreas -- carcinoma or lymphoma
can occur in adrenals or in the pancreas. Those are malignancies
although carcinomas of the adrenal often do not spread. In the pancreas
carcinoma is usually more aggressive than lymphoma. In the adrenals
lymphoma is usually more aggressive than carcinoma.

In here you will learn why adrenal disease needs treatment. This post
preceded some current forms of treatment. These days a person can suit
the treatment choice to the needs of the individual ferret so surgery,
surgery with preventive approaches following, Lupron DEPOT AND
Ferretonin IMPLANT, or Suprelorin IMPLANT AND Ferretonin IMPLANT for
the three most effective choices:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG5054

>Actually tonight I am working on a promised article to Ferrets Mag
>about adrenal disease. But I think that Melissa and Sukie have covered
>the dire possibilities very well (and they are very real.)
>
>However, even under the best conditions, when there is no malignancy,
>there is no bone marrow toxicosis, there is no prostatic cystic
>disease
>- even the most mild prediction is a sad one. Ferrets with adrenal
>disease have a diminished quality of life - they have progressive
>muscle loss, low grade anemia, they tend to redistribute weight to the
>abdomen, further making it difficult to walk, they have an increased
>incidence of gastric ulcers as a result of the stress of chronic
>illness, decreased bone density - none life-threatening, but all
>life-compromising. Even medical treatment, which is not my preferred
>way of treating adrenal disease, gives slight releif to symptoms.
>Doing nothing is not kind and not in a ferret's best interest.
>
>With kindest regards,
>
>Bruce Williams, DVM

Here is the IMPORTANT Golden Oldie for all to keep and use as a
learning tool:

 Subject: FHL golden oldies: insulinoma and adrenal disease usually NOT
          "cancers"

Sukie notes: Insulinoma and adrenal disease usually are NOT "cancers":
most adrenal growths are benign neoplasia and some others tend to not
spread; insulinomae tend to not spread. There is yet more on that
aspect and on why blood tests do not diagnose lymphoma/lymphosarcoma at
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/Clin_Path/ClinPath.html and elsewhere.

There are multiple pieces of info on the misuse of the term "cancer";
here's one which combines the marvelous post of a veterinary
pathologist who is a ferret expert (Dr. Bruce Williams) and some
dictionary definitions from veterinary/medical dictionaries.

FHL message 6510 (There ARE others with more info):