From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:27:09 -0800
I'm a full time Air Natl Guardsman and thankfully havn't had to deploy for
longer than 45 days and had the pets covered.  However now that my Mother
is elderly and my sister has an extremely dog aggressive dog I am in that
boat where if asked to deploy for a long time I would be searching for
help.

Hasn't happened to me yet but one of my troops left a few weeks ago for a
year long mobilization in support of our new war.  There aren't any active
duty bases in Michigan - however Selfridge has Army active duty personnel
assigned, Navy Reserve, 2 Air Guard Squadrons, 1 Air Reserve unit, there's
my Air Guard Squadron in Battle Creek, several Coast Guard units, Army
Guard all over.  Not whole units are neccarily being called up this time -
but bits and pieces of certain specialties.  The publicity is less.
Military people often dump pets because they get short notice call ups -
and previous pet plans have fallen through for some reason.  I don't know
how you'd get the word out that there is help - some units have a Family
Affairs volunteer, often the Public Affairs office works with them.

I can't tell you how emotional it made me to see that people are trying
to help, before our final tasking came down for an enlisted troop in my
speciality (I'm an officer) I was quite panic'ed - nothing worse than
want to go but being so torn by worry.  So you can help by registering to
foster - or pass on to deploying military members.

Here's the fowarded info:

This might be a resource for those of you in military areas.
Hope

>FEEL FREE TO CROSSPOST
>
>I emailed all of you a while back regarding a project that
>www.NETPETS.org, the Non-Profit 501(c)3, Internet based Library that I
>volunteer for, has in place.  It is called NetPets MilitaryPetsFOSTER
>Project.  If you look on my homepage at www.doglogic.com you will see a
>header with links for the project.
>
>Basically, we have arranged a huge Foster Volunteer base of members to
>temporarily house pets of Military personnel who have been mobilized
>because of 9-11, and might have otherwise had to permanently give up their
>pets.  A large amount of legal work had to be done by our group, in order
>to design proper paperwork for temporary surrender of pets, in order to
>protect all parties, as well as the work to check out foster homes and
>arrange for pet placements.  The project has so far been a rousing
>success, and AKC has chosen to give the project some recognition.
>Please check out the article here:
>http://www.akc.org/news/honorvictims.cfm
>
>And if you are able to foster, or need a foster home, please contact
>NetPets at:
>(843) 249-5262  http://www.netpets.org/disaster.html
>for Disaste Relief info or:
>For Folks needing a  MILITARY RELATED TEMPORARY FOSTER:
> http://www.netpets.org/netp/foster.php
>
>Or if you wish to volunteer to temporarily foster a pet:
> http://www.netpets.org/netp/foster.php#fosthome
>
>In this Holiday Season, what better way to spread goodwill, than to help
>those who are defending our and other nations human rights, maintain their
>family and pets?
>
>Hugs
>Lynnie

"Animals are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other
nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time,"
   Henry Beston