Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:03:26 -0400
Debbie, thank you so much for the great article.

So Sukie, is leucism just a broad umbrella term for any neurocrest
disorder that results in any type of hypopigmentation? I know it says
it's the name of a "phenotype", but I can't keep these terms straight
and I don't know what that is. Phenotype is what, like the appearance
of an organism? Why not just say neurocrest disorder or if you are
wanting to label the appearance say "blaze", "piebald", etc? I suppose
it's just a broad term to describe lightening in coloration rather than
a reference to the genetic condition? Or do I have it all wrong and is
this just a fancy way of describing "white" and has nothing to do with
a neurocrest genetic defect?

-- waiting in the corner with a dunce hat on for your input

Leucism would describe our BEW's and/or DEW's ... or would it? I see
differences between dark garnet colored and blue eyed DEW's and BEW's
with jet black eyes as a whole. I always assumed that the DEWS have a
neurocrest defect because so many of them are deaf.

Again, it was a really fun thing to read Debbie, thanks so much.

Wolfy
ps, if people would like to read how these things relate to ferrets as
a species and how some ferrets may appear who are affected by neural
crest defects, see www.wolfysluv.com/deaf.html . There is also a more
in depth article located on the SmallAnimalChannel.com site. I'd supply
the url, but the site seems to be having a hard time loading for me
right now. Google Living With Deaf Ferrets and it'll pop right up.